Red Bike Publishing Books

Sunday, April 6, 2014

I Can't Get Him Off My Case; How Do You Handle It?

     Jason thought for a moment. “My better judgment says not to let you, but knowing your reputation, I can trust you not to get in over your head.”
     “You’re absolutely right. I’ll be in full control of the decisions, and if it’s too bad, I’ll return.” Steve was fully aware of Jason’s intentions.
     “I can vouch for his decision making,” John said. “But I have flown in worse than this. Besides, I thought the pilot made the final flying decision.”
     “Usually yes, but not on my watch,” said Jason.
     The quiet chatter common to crowded rooms suddenly hushed as the two men squared off.
     “I’m going to let you two go, but only for the experience. The rest of you, if you don’t have a real need to fly, consider postponing.”
     Steve and John left ahead of the others and John felt everyone’s eyes on him as they filed past. He didn’t doubt where their loyalties lay and he couldn’t blame them.
     Outside, the sun was a little higher but still shrouded by skirts of high level clouds. As the morning had started, the day continued with drizzle and patches of fog. The already jade foliage took on a luscious, green hue and the jungle steamed as a light mist engulfed it.
     John’s gait quickened and Steve strived hard to keep in step. John seemed oblivious to the sprinkle matting his hair and collecting on his bangs.
     “Slow down, I can’t keep up,” Steve called out.
     “You can’t keep up! I can’t believe the treatment we get around here. I haven’t seen so much baby-sitting since I was in the army.” John had to keep himself from shouting.
     “How do you do it? You two seem to get along just fine, you and I get along, I get along with the other guys, they get along with Jason, but I can’t seem to keep him off my case,” said John.

Jeffrey W. Bennett, is the author of Commitment-A Novel and other non-fiction books, novels and periodicals.



No comments:

Post a Comment