Red Bike Publishing Books

Thursday, September 13, 2012

A new mission

CHAPTER 16


     Jason was finishing breakfast when John entered the cafeteria. He pushed his plate aside and motioned for John to take a seat next to him. He was pleased with the progress John was making as the new pilot, having earned the respect of not only the other pilots, but of the mission families as well, who also spoke well of him.
     “You wanted to see me?” John asked.
     “I didn’t want to tell you at the briefing because I didn’t want to undermine the other pilots. I need you to fly Sandy to the villages to give medical checkups.” Jason spoke of his wife’s nursing profession.
    “Why can’t the others do this? Not that I mind, of course.” Inside, John was excited.
     “Well, if you need to hear it,” Jason wiped his mouth with the neatly folded napkin. “I question your motivation to be here. But I think you are, aside from Steve, one of the best pilots, but he already has a full plate.”
    “So the job entails flying your wife to the villages other pilots are serving,” John said.
     “Yes, every quarter Sandy performs check-ups, goes through medical records and gives shots. It should take about a week to finish.”

Jeffrey W. Bennett, is the author of Commitment-A Novel and other non-fiction books, novels and periodicals.

No comments:

Post a Comment